Monday, January 10, 2011

The Drive-In Movie Theater

"The Pickle Jar" (2009) episode of HBO's Hung has Ray Drecker taking Darby and Damon, his twin kids, to a Michigan drive-in movie theater wherein Darby runs into Hammer, her semi-flame, on a date with another girl. Besides the hilarity that ensues, it reminds me every time of the bigger footprint drive-ins used to have in the cultural landscape of the USA.

With my immediate family, I saw Bonnie & Clyde (1967), starring Faye Dunaway (very hot) and Bullitt (1968), starring Steve McQueen (very cool, with, let's not forget, Jacqueline Bisset) at drive-in theaters. With my aunt Sue, one of my sisters and a few others I saw the corny film The Norseman (1978) somewhere near Atlanta. It starred Lee Majors. This drop in big screen quality between late 60s and late 70s is a nice metaphor for the collapse of drive-ins as a mainstay generally. In high school, a car full of classmates and I would occasionally check out an exploitation film or a "blue" movie from time to time, but The Norseman may have been the last Hollywood style movie I ever saw at a drive-in, at least that I can specifically remember by title. How about you?









Today's Rune: Harvest

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think the only one left is the Ford drivein in Dearborn. Or perhaps it's still Detroit there.

jodi said...

Erik, growing up we had two drive ins available and hit them often. In high school we would co-ordinate which one to go to and hook up to party. Fun times!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not sure why I remember this, but I saw a movie called "Werewolves on Wheels" at a drive-in in the middle of a cornfield.

I also remember seeing "Billy Jack" at drive-in.

the walking man said...

I remember going many times but to be honest I scratched my head and thought and can not come up with what the last movie I saw at one was.

*shrug* By the time I was a teenager we never were going for the movie any way. Jodi got it spot on. A place with no KNOWN parental supervision.

Charles Gramlich said...

The first time I ever went to see Lana in Canada we went to the drive in. it was much cool.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey, thanks all for the comentarios~ now I've *got* to find a copy of "Werewolves on Wheels" -- cheers, all~